(1) 9 cards are there. u have to arrange them in a 3*3 matrix.
cards are of 4 colors. they are red, yellow, blue, green.
conditions for arrangement: one red card must be in first row
or second row.2 green cards should be in 3rd column. Yellow
cards must be in the 3 corners only. Two blue cards must be in
the 2nd row. Atleast one green card in each row.
Yello Red Gren
Blu Blu Gren
Yello Gren Yello
2. 4 cards are placed on a table, each card has two colors. U
don't know the color of the back side of eachcard.4 persons A
B C and D are sitting on the table before the cards. They can
see Red, Green Red and blue .Out of the 4 poeple 2 always lie.
They see the color on the reverse side and give the following
B: Neither Blue/nor Green
D: Blue/ Yello
find out the color on the other side of the 4 cards.
3.Red and brown tribes [FROM BARRONS GRE] Conditions to
get married with each other.
4. Venn diagram regarding Rich, muscular, soft-skinned,
employed, etc.,( Refer BARRONS GRE GUIDE)
1. SAKUNTALA DEVI'S PUZZLE BOOK : PUZZLES TO PUZZLE YOU.
problem no: 3. ( Brothers and Sisters)
A family I know has several children. Each boy in this
family has as many sisters as brothers but each girl has
twice as many brothers as sisters. How many brothers
and sisters are there?
ans: 4 boys and 3 girls.
2. No. of animals is 11 more than the no. of birds. If the
no. of birds were the no. of animals and no. of animals
were the no. of birds( ie., interchanging no.s of animals
and birds.), the total no. of legs get reduced by one fifth
(1/5). How many no. of birds and animals were there?
3. In a soap company a soap is manufactured with 11 parts.
For making one soap you will get 1 part as scrap. At the
end of the day u have 251 such scraps. From that how many
soaps can be manufactured? ans: 22 + 2+ 1 = 25.
4. 2 * * |
3 * * | No. 7 does not occur in this
5 * * | multiplication.
* 4 * |
* * 3 | Find the product.
* * * * * |
ans 2 8 1
3 2 2
5 6 2
5 6 2 0
8 4 3 0 0
9 0 4 8 2
5. There is a 5digit no. 3 pairs of sum is eleven each.
Last digit is 3 times the first one.
3 rd digit is 3 less than the second.
4 th digit is 4 more than the second one.
Find the digit. ans : 25296.
6. There are five thieves, each loot a bakery one after the
other such that the first one takes 1/2 of the total no.
of the breads plus 1/2 of a bread. Similarly 2nd, 3rd,4th
and 5fth also did the same. After the fifth one no. of
breads remained are 3. Initially how many breads were there?
ans : 31.
7.ESCALATOR PROBLEM OF SAKUNTALA DEVI 'PUZZLES TO PUZZLE'book.
Problem No: Problem 27( Down the escalator)
ans : the no of steps in the stair way : 46.
8.Harbour line and Main line Problem of Sakuntala Devi Puzzle
book. Ans : 4/5.
( More Puzzles book)
9.There are some chicken in a poultry. They are fed with corn
One sack of corn will come for 9 days.The farmer decides to
sell some chicken and wanted to hold 12 chicken with him.
He cuts the feed by 10% and sack of corn comes for 30 days.
So initially how many chicken are there?
10.Two people X & Y walk on the wall of a godown in opposite
direction. They meet at a point on one side and then go
ahead. X after walking for some time, walks in opposite
direction for 15 mtrs.Then again he turns back and walks
in the original direction. What distance did Y walk before
they met again, if X walks 11 mtrs by the time Y walks
11.Problem from SAKUNTALA DEVI 'PUZZLES TO PUZZLE U'.
Problem no: 23( Walking back to happiness.)
The walking time : 55 mins
1)A begger collects cigarette stubs and makes one ful cigarette with every 7 stubs. Once he gets 49 stubs . How many cigarettes can he smoke totally.?
2). A soldiar looses his way in a thick jungle at random walks from his camp but mathematically in an interestingg fashion.First he walks one mile east then half mile to north. Then 1/4 mile to west, then 1/8 mile to south and so on making a loop. Finally hoe far he is from his camp and in which direction. ans: in north and south directions
1/2 - 1/8 + 1/32 - 1/128 + 1/512 - and so on
similarly in east and west directions
1- 1/4 + 1/16 - 1/64 + 1/256 - and so on
= 1/(( 1- ( - 1/4))
add both the answers
3). how 1000000000 can be written as a product of two factors neither of them containing zeros
Ans 2 power 9 x 5 ppower 9 ( check the answer )
4). Conversation between two mathematcians:
first : I have three childern. Thew pproduct of their ages is 36. If you sum their ages . it is exactly same as my neighbour's door number on my left. The sacond mathematiciaan verfies the door number and says that the not sufficient. Then the first says " o.k one more clue is that my youngest is the youngest" Immmediately the second mathematician answers . Can you aanswer
the questoion asked by the first mathematician?
What are the childeren ages? ans 2 and 3 and 6
5). Light glows for every 13 seconds . How many times did it between 1:57:58 and 3:20:47 am
ans : 383 + 1 = 384
6). 500 men are arranged in an array of 10 rows and 50 columns. ALL tallest among each row aare asked to fall out. And the shortest among THEM is A. Similarly after resuming that to their originaal podsitions that the shorteest among each column are asked to fall out.
And the longest among them is B . Now who is
taller among A and B ? ans A
7). A person spending out 1/3 for cloths , 1/5 of the remsaining for food and 1/4 of the remaining for travelles is left with Rs 100/- . How he had in the begining ?
ans RS 250/-
8). there are six boxes containing 5 , 7 , 14 , 16 ,18, 29 balls of either red or blue in colour. Some boxes contain only red balls and others contain only blue . One sales man sold one box out of them and then he says " I have the same number of red balls left out as that of blue ". Which box is the one he solds
out ? Ans : total no of balls = 89 and (89-29 /2 = 60/2 = 30
and also 14 + 16 = 5 + 7 + 18 = 30
9) A chain is broken into three pieces of equal lenths conttaining 3 links each. It is taken to a backsmith to join into a single continuous one . How many links are to to be opened to make it ?
Ans : 2.
10). Grass in lawn grows equally thickand in a uniform rate. It takes 24 days for 70 cows and 60 for 30 cows . How many cows can eat away the same in 96 days.?
Ans : 18 or 19
11). There is a certain four digit number whose fourth digit is twise the first digit.Third digit is three more than second digit.Sum of the first and fourth digits twise the third number.What was that number ?
Ans : 2034 and 4368
1. From a vessel on the first day, 1/3rd of the liquid evaporates. On the second day 3/4th of the remaining liquid evaporates. what fraction of the volume is present at the end of the II day.
2. an orange galss has orange juice. and white glass has apple juice. Bothe equal volume 50ml of the orange juice is taken and poured into the apple juice. 50ml from the white glass is poured into the orange glass. Of the two quantities, the amount of apple juice in the orange glass and the amount of orange juice in the white glass, which one is greater and by how much?
3. there is a 4 inch cube painted on all sides. this is cut into no of 1 inch cubes. what is the no of cubes which have no pointed sides.
4. sam and mala have a conversation. sam says i am vertainly not over 40. mala says i am 38 and you are atleast 5 years older than me. Now sam says you are atleast 39. all the sattements by the two are false. How hold are they realy.
5. ram singh goes to his office in the city, every day from his suburbun house. his driver mangaram drops him at the railway station in the morning and picks him up in the evening. Every evening ram singh reaches the station at 5 o'clock. mangaram also reaches at the same time. one day ramsingh started early from his office and came to the station at 4 o'clock. not wanting to wait for the car he starts walking home. Mangaram starts at normal time, picks him up on the way and takes him back
house, half an hour early. how much time did ram singh walk.
6. in a railway station, there are tow trains going. One in the harbour line and one in the main line, each having a frequency of 10 minutes. the main line service starts at 5 o'clock. the harbour line starts at 5.02a.m. a man goes to the station every day to catch the first train. what is the probability of man catchinhg the first train7. some people went for vaction. unfortunately it rained for 13 days when they were there. but whenever it rained in the morning, they had clean afternood and vice versa. In all they enjoyed 11 morning and 12 afternoons. how many days did they stay there totally
8. exalator problem repeat 9. a survey was taken among 100 people to firn their preference of watching t.v. programmes. there are 3 channels. given no of
people who watch
at least channel 1
" " 2
" " 3
no channels at all
atleast channels 1and 3
" " 1 and 2
" " 2 and 3
find the no of people who watched all three.
10. albert and fernandes they have two leg swimming race. both start from opposite and of the pool. On the first leg, the boys pass each other at 18 mt from the deep end of the pool. during the II leg they pass at 10 mt from the shallow end of the pool. Both go at const speed. but one of them is faster. each boy rests for 4 sec to see at the end of the i leg. what is the length of the pool.11. T H I S Each alphabet stands for one
I S digit, what is the maximum value T
-------------- can take
X F X X
X X U X
X X N X X
1. an escalator is descending at constant speed. A walks down and takes 50 steps to reach the bottom. B runs down and takes 90 steps in the same time as A takes 10 steps. how many steps are visible when the escalator is not operating.
2. every day a cyclist meets a train at a particular crossing. the road is straignt before the crossing and both are travelling in the same direction. cyclist travels with a speed of 10 Kmph. One day the cyclist comes late by 25 min. and meets the train 5km before the crossing. what is the seppd of the train.
3. five persons muckerjee, misra, iyer, patil and sharma, all take then first or middle names in the full names. There are 4 persons having I or middle name of kumar, 3 persons with mohan, 2 persons withdev and 1 anil.
--Either mukherjee and patil have a I or middle name of dev or misra and iyer have their I or middle name of dev
--of mukherkjee and misre, either both of them have a first or middle name of mohan or neither have a first or middle name of mohan--either iyer of sharma has a I or middle name of kumar hut not both.who has the I or middle name of anil
4. reading comprehension
5. a bird keeper has got pigeon, M mynas and S sparrows. the
keeper goes for lunch leaving his assistant to watch the birds.
a. suppose p=10, m=5, s=8 when the bird keeper comes back, the
assistant informs the x birds have escaped. the bird keeper
exclaims oh no! all my sparrows are gone. how many birds flew
b. when the bird keeper come back, the assistand told him that
x birds have escaped. the keeper realised that atleast2 sparrows
have escaped. what is minimum no of birds that can escape.
6. select from the five alternatives A,B,C,D,E
AT THE end of each question ,two conditions will be given.
the choices are to filled at follows.
a. if a definete conclusion can be drawn from condition 1
b. if a definete conclusion can be drawn from condition 2
c. if a definete conclusion can be drawn from condition 1 and 2
d. if a definete conclusion can be drawn from condition 1 or 2
e. no conclusion can be drawn using both conditions
1. person 1 says N<5
person says n>5
person 3 says 3N>20
person 4 says 3n>10
person 5 says N<8
whaT IS value of N
a) 1. no of persons who speak false being less than no of persons
who tells the truth.
2. person 2 is telling the truth.
b) 1. no of persong telling the truth is greater than no of
persons telling lies
2. person 5 is telling the truth.
7. there are N coins on a table. there are two players A&B.
you can take 1 or 2 coins at a time. the person who takes the
last coin is the loser. a always starts first
--1. if N=7
a) A can always win by taking two coins in his first chanse
b) B can win only if A takes two coins in his first chance.
c) B can always win by proper play
d) none of the above
--2. A can win by proper play if N is equal to
a) 13 b) 37 c) 22 d) 34 e) 48 ans. e.
--3. B can win by proper play if N is equal to
a) 25 b)26 c) 32 d) 41 e) none
--4. if N<4, can A win by proper play always
8. Two turns have vertain pecular charcteristics. One of them
always lies on Monday, Wednesday, Friday. \the other always lies
on Tuesdays, thursdays and saturdays. On the other days they tel
the truth. You are given a conversation.
person A-- today is sunday my name is anil
person B-- today is tuesday, my name is bill
answers for selected questions
2. equal 1. 150
3. 8 2. 60 kmph
4. 37(M),41(S) 3. Mukherjee
5. 45 min. 8. today is tuesday